The SMS Notifications feature is bundled as part of the SMS Messaging Added Module available for an additional cost. To enable the SMS Messaging module, speak to your Punchh Customer Success Manager about adding it to your service contract.
Text to Join is a feature of SMS-based mobile marketing. In the past, Punchh has provided the ability to communicate to consumers via SMS. Now, with the new Text to Join feature, businesses can acquire users, as well as communicate with them, via the SMS channel. Guests can be signed up for both eClub and loyalty programs in addition to your business engaging with them for various marketing communications directly through text messages.
- Configure a Text to Join program using an SMS Short-code, custom keyword, opt-in message, confirmation message, and optional coupon offer
- Configure an incentive reward as part of the sign-up process to encourage sign-ups
- Configure opt-in message as one message
- Configure fallback message (in case of a wrong or expired keyword is sent to the short-code). This will ensure that the signup is handled when users enter an invalid keyword
- SMS regulation compliance
- Support for HELP, STOP text
- How many users signed up
- How many users are monthly active
- How many users have opted out
- How many users converted to loyalty
[internal for setup purposes]
To activate this feature, open the Punchh Platform and navigate to:
- Cockpit > Dashboard > Enable SMS
- Cockpit > Dashboard > Enable Text to Join
- When configuring the fallback message, you will be required to create a double opt-in keyword. This will enable the SMS subscription status for your guest. The keyword used for double opt-in must also be included under the Opt-in tab of TWILIO (as shown in the screenshot above). NOTE: The tab can have more than one keyword but it is important that you have a double opt-in keyword in the tab. This should be set to ‘START’ by default.
- The path to Twilio’s page where the opt-in tab exists can also be seen in the screenshot above.
Let's walk through an example setting this up.
Scenario: Business wants to enroll guests using the guest Custom keyword ‘PIZZA’
STEP 1 - Enable Text to Join in the Punchh Platform
- Go to Cockpit > Dashboard > Enable SMS > Enable Text to Join
STEP 2 - Visit the SMS Marketing Home Page
Once the ‘Text to Join’ flag is enabled you will be able to view the SMS Marketing Home Page. The 'Acquire' tab will appear in the sidebar.
- To view the SMS Marketing home page, open the Punchh Platform > Acquire > SMS Marketing
The home page will display metrics tracking the utilization of your SMS Marketing along with keyword analytics. The home page will allow you to delete a keyword using the symbol. You can pause any keyword using the toggle.
- Deleting a custom keyword will remove all the stats associated with it
- Pausing a custom keyword will suspend sign ups from that particular keyword
Clicking on a keyword will take you to the notification template associated with the keyword. From here, you will be able to edit settings such as the SMS Body, SMS Description, add messaging tags and more.
STEP 3: FALLBACK MESSAGE
To configure fallback messaging, open the Punchh Platform and navigate to Acquire > SMS Marketing. To the right of the screen, there's a ‘Configure Fallback Message’ button (see below):
This page allows admins to configure single and double opt-in keywords and messaging for the same.
The screenshot above shows the first part of the form that configures the Fallback Message.
This section includes two tabs: Double opt-in keyword & Opt-in keyword
Double opt-in Keyword: By default, the word 'START' will be entered here. This means any guest sending a custom keyword would be asked to text the word ‘START’ to double opt-in.
Opt-in Keyword: Use this tab to fill in all the generic opt-in keywords (example: YES, Y, ENTER, GO, IN etc.).
The next section configures the Fallback message. See below:
The Fallback message has three components:
- Message for all configured keywords except double opt-in keyword
- Message for Double opt-in keyword
- Message for non-configured keywords
Message for all configured keywords except double opt-in keyword: This message will be sent to guests whenever they send an opt-in keyword or custom keyword. This message should include compliance information.
Message for double opt-in keyword: This message would be sent once the guest sends the double opt-in keyword [In this case, it's ‘START’].
If the keyword is changed, you must do the following:
- Make sure the new keyword is included in Twilio’s opt-in tab
- Confirm that the keyword has been updated in the Sign Up notification template (Punchh Platform > Settings > Notification Template > Sign-Up)
Message for non-configured keyword: If a guest sends a random keyword, the message defined in this section would be triggered.
STEP 4: CUSTOM KEYWORD
The final step will be to create a custom keyword. After saving the Fallback message form, you wil be taken back to the keyword listing page. Select ‘Add custom keyword’ from the right side of the page (located next to the Configure Fallback Message displayed above).
This will open the form that configures the Keyword:
SMS Keyword: This is the 'title' of the actual keyword. For the purpose of our walkthrough, type in custom keyword ‘PIZZA’ into this tab
SMS Body: SMS body is the reply the guest will receive when they send the custom keyword ‘PIZZA’. If the guest is new, they would first need to double opt-in and then this response will be sent.
Once this form is saved, the keyword will start appearing on the keyword listing page and will be active. Any guest sending the above keyword would be signed up into loyalty.
To help measure the effectiveness of the Text To Join keywords, the following stats are available in the Punchh Platform from the SMS Marketing Home Page page:
- Total Acquired via SMS: Total number of users acquired through Text to Join in the last 1 year.
- Percentage acquired via SMS: Total users with SMS subscription divided by the total number of loyalty users acquired in the last 30 days.
- New SMS Acquisition: Total number of users signed up through custom keyword in last 30 days
- Percentage Subscribed: Percentage of guest subscribed through SMS in last 30 days
- Not yet subscribed: These are guests who have sent a custom keyword but have not subscribed for SMS marketing in last 30 days
Keyword specific stats:
These stats would be visible when admin clicks on any of the custom keywords.
- Total Sign-up from keyword: Depicts total number of signups made from the specific keyword.
- SMS Sign-up from that keyword as a % of total sign-ups: Sign up from specific keyword divided by the total number of signups in the given time period
- Sign-up trend: Gives the sign-up trend for the time duration selected above