Survey creation workflow
After your business has purchased and enabled the Surveys added module, you're ready to work with your Punchh CSM to set up your first survey. The typical workflow for this process is as follows:
- Step One – Devise the questions and responses
- Step Two – Consult with your Punchh CSM to build the survey
- Step Three – Create a new survey in your Platform Settings
- Step Four – Attach your survey to a campaign
Devise questions and responses
- Devise questions for your survey and the desired input type for each one, such as multiple choice, rating, or open response text field.
- Choose response options for each question.
What are the choices for this multiple choice question?
- Map the order and flow for your survey questions.
What is the best choice for the first, second, and third questions, and will your survey use skip logic? As described in more detail below, "skip logic" allows that (for example) if a guest answers "Pizza", the next question might ask about toppings, or if they choose "Chicken Wings", the next question might ask about dipping sauces.
Skip logic allows you to create response trees that are triggered when a guest gives a chosen response. For example, if a guest rates their experience as "Wonderful", your survey may complete with a thank you message, but if their response is "Terrible", you may want to ask them what happened or what you can do better to make sure they have a great experience next time.
Consult your Punchh CSM to build the survey
- Contact your Punchh CSM with your finalized survey plan.
Your CSM will communicate with you about any potential limitations or problems, as well as potential strategies for maximizing your survey's effectiveness.
- After consultation, Punchh will build your survey for you using Typeform (seen below).
- Your CSM will send you a link to the completed survey for you to review.
Any final modifications should be made at this point. Once live in a campaign, we do not recommend modifying the survey.
Create a new survey in the Punchh Platform
In order to attach your survey to a campaign, we have to link it to Punchh using a unique External Survey Code or External Survey Report URL. This will be provided to you by your Punchh CSM once it's been built.
- Navigate to Settings > Surveys and click the New Survey button at the top right.
- Enter a Name and (optional) Description for the survey.
- Enter a Gift Reason (in this case usually "Completing the survey").
This will appear in the guest's account history.
- Use the Gift Type drop-down to choose a reward for completing the survey.
(If attached to a campaign, the campaign settings will override your survey's Gift Reason and Gift Type).
- Enter the External survey code or External survey report URL to link the survey in Punchh.
This information will be provided to you by your Punchh CSM.
- External survey code – Generated from Typeform, this is used for embedding your survey for use in the mobile app.
- External survey report URL – Generated from Typeform, this is used for embedding your survey for use on a web page (attached to email messaging sent to the guest).
- Enter Push Notification and/or Email Notification text that will accompany your survey if sent out independently, not as part of a campaign.
When your survey is attached to a campaign, the campaign messaging will override any messaging you enter here.
- Click Update to finalize.
Your survey is now available to use in any campaign type that supports surveys.
Attach your survey to a campaign
You can attach your survey to nearly any gift-giving or messaging campaign. When part of a gift-giving campaign, the guest must first complete the survey in order to be eligible to receive the reward attached to that campaign. When part of a messaging non-gifting campaign, the guest must complete the survey in order to receive the reward attached to the survey itself.
To attach a survey to a campaign:
- Create a campaign as you normally would.
- In Step 2: Whom of the campaign creation wizard, click the Survey drop-down and select the survey you want.
When the campaign is triggered for a guest, they will receive the push notification associated with the campaign. If the guest interacts with the campaign's push notification, they will then be presented with the attached survey. At that point, the guest must complete the survey in order to receive the campaign reward.
- Continue and save/schedule the campaign as normal.
Campaign types that support Surveys
- Mass Notification
- Post Checkin Message
- Mass Offer
- Post Checkin Offer
- Checkin Survey
- Location Presence
- Profile Update
- Post Purchase
Once connected to a campaign, your survey will begin gathering results as guests complete it. To view the results of a survey:
- Navigate to Settings > Surveys and click on the name of a survey.
- Click Summary Results to see the amount and proportion of guest responses for each of your survey questions. This view shows the TypeForm view of the results.
- Detailed Results show response data for each individual guest who has completed the survey. Click the Time field to select the duration over which to focus the data.
- Click the Export button at the top right to export a CSV file of the detailed results.